Friday, March 27, 2015

Improvisations



(“The practice of resurrection encourages improvisation on the basic resurrection story….” Eugene Peterson)

The day Grandma died
something quickened in the atmosphere.
A breeze sashayed
through the cherry orchard.
Unseen stars kicked up their heels
in the day-blind sky.

****
Cancer ward. My friend Sandi
fights nausea. Hope hides
its bright face but refuses
to disappear altogether.
Outside in the evening
pond frogs croak,
“Kyrie eleison.
Kyrie eleison.”

****
Peter turns seven.
At his request we go to Red Robin
for hamburgers. As the waiters
gather at a neighboring table
to sing a loud and public “Happy Birthday,”
Peter leans in and announces,
“They’re going to do that to me next.”
And they do.

****
On my early morning walk,
hundreds of calendar-defying daffodils
greet me, all of them grinning
like stewardesses.

****
Dwaine’s death stuns. My friend
and colleague, a husband, father,
grandfather. Running on the beach.
Not old. Not old at all. It’s like
those something-is-wrong-
with-this-picture puzzles I did
as a child. Lord, help us trace our way
through the shadowed places. Splash
in some resurrection hues.

No comments:

Post a Comment